As adults, we know deep down that owning a pet can be a lot of work, but the unconditional love a pet shares makes them well worth the effort. If you are a parent trying to decide if now is the time to bring a new pet into the home, consider these reasons for adding a new furry family member:
- Children who grow up in homes with pets have less risk of developing common allergies and asthma.
- Kids with pets get outside more—to go for walks, run and play—and enjoy all the associated health benefits.
- Emerging readers often feel more comfortable reading aloud to a pet.
- Nurturing a pet is an acceptable way for boys to “parent play”—to practice being caregivers.
- Feeding and caring for a pet encourages childhood responsibility.
- Children with pets display improved impulse control, social skills and self-esteem.
- Sharing the love and care of a family pet forges an additional common bond among siblings.
- Cuddling a pet reduces stress, loneliness and anxiety.
Still a little hesitant? Stop in to our Adoption Center to meet some of our pets. Take your time, visit often, and when the time is right, you’ll know.