Is it time to take the plunge?
As adults, we know deep down owning a pet can be a lot of work, but the unconditional love a pet shares makes them well worth the effort. If you are a parent trying to decide if now is the time to bring a new pet into the home, consider these reasons for adding a new furry family member:
- Children who grow up in homes with pets have less risk of developing common allergies and asthma.
- Kids with pets get outside more—to go for walks, run and play—and enjoy all the associated health benefits.
- Emerging readers often feel more comfortable reading aloud to a pet.
- Nurturing a pet is an acceptable way for boys to “parent play”—to practice being caregivers.
- Feeding and caring for a pet encourages childhood responsibility.
- Children with pets display improved impulse control, social skills and self-esteem.
- Sharing the love and care of a family pet forges an additional common bond among siblings.
- Cuddling a pet reduces stress, loneliness and anxiety.
Still a little hesitant? Stop in to our Adoption Center to meet some of our pets. Take your time, visit often, and when the time is right, you’ll know.
Two Convenient Locations
Rescue & Adoption Center
1929 West Market Street
Akron, OH 44313
Spay & Neuter Clinic
1700 West Exchange Street
Akron, OH 44313
Connect with Us
Meet Our Pets
We feature “One of A Kind” kittens, cats, puppies and dogs. Review our adoptable pets online and then come into the adoption center and visit them to see which one is right for you.
Subscribe to Pets News
Sign up for our email newsletter and receive One of a Kind updates each week. You'll get everything from local pet events to exciting new products you can find in our retail store.
There's so much going on and we have the scoop on every kind of pet event. Find out what new pet-friendly events are coming up and join us for some fun and furry happenings.
Support our mission... make a donation today!