Thank you for your interest in volunteering with One of a Kind Pet Rescue! Our volunteers help us give our animals the best care possible and that’s what they deserve. Extra hands make for lighter work and reduce the need for paid staff so we can use that money for food, medicine and other supplies. We are glad that you have considered giving your time and talent to the care and socialization of orphaned pets.
Please fill out and submit a Volunteer Application. You can fill it out in person at our Adoption Center (1929 West Market Street, Akron) or print one below and bring it in. You will be added to a database and notified by email approximately two weeks prior to our next training. Training classes occur approximately every 6 weeks.
- All volunteers must complete an orientation prior to working with us. As part of the orientation you will be required to purchase a volunteer t-shirt for $10.
- Volunteers can be any age. Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent / legal guardian while performing service hours.
- Volunteers are required to sign a Waiver of Release. Children and teens are required to have their parent sign the Waiver of Release.
- Volunteers can come in when they are available, and are welcome to stay as long as they are available. Occasionally we do schedule volunteers for shifts, but that is only in the case of large events.
- Foster Parents are volunteers that help us save lives! Our puppies and dogs often need a temporary place to stay before they become eligible for adoption. As a foster, you are an important leg of their journey to a new home. We cover all the expenses and you get to experience their love, trust, and companionship while offering them security – maybe for their first time ever!
- Dog Walkers are needed intermittently from 8:30 am – 8:00pm. The dogs and puppies enjoy the attention and it helps to keep them socialized. Your time spent with them will improve their chances to get a home of their own! Dog walkers must be 16 years old or older.
- Cat Socialization makes our feline tenants really happy. Feel free to brush, pet, or play with our cats and kittens.
- Dog Socialization makes our canine tenants really happy too! Dogs exercised and loved show so much better to a potential adopter.
- Fundraising Volunteers are needed to assist in raising money to keep the rescue operation funded. Join a planning committee, help promote our events, or stuff mailers. There is something for everyone!
- Event Team Volunteers take literature to a public event and promote One of A Kind Pet Rescue. Frequently animals accompany volunteers at events. Taking animals gives both One of A Kind Pet Rescue and One of A Kind Pet Spay & Neuter Clinic positive exposure and the dog(s) and / or cat(s) get exposure too!
- Administrative Help Volunteers help with record keeping, letter writing, data entry, and more. These talents are invaluable to the organization.
- Done-in-a-Day Volunteers often come as a group and tackle a big project for us. Projects may include cleaning animal rooms at the Adoption Center or Clinic, picking weeds, spreading mulch, or setting up for an event. You must schedule in advance for your group to come in by emailing email@example.com.
- #RunningDog – these volunteers are individuals that enjoy multi-mile runs on a daily or weekly basis. They come in to help run our higher-energy dogs and train them to be good running partners. Read about their results on their facebook page, RunningDog Runners.