Is it time to take the plunge?
As adults, we know deep down owning a pet can be a lot of work, but the unconditional love a pet shares makes them well worth the effort. If you are a parent trying to decide if now is the time to bring a new pet into the home, consider these reasons for adding a new furry family member:
- Children who grow up in homes with pets have less risk of developing common allergies and asthma.
- Kids with pets get outside more—to go for walks, run and play—and enjoy all the associated health benefits.
- Emerging readers often feel more comfortable reading aloud to a pet.
- Nurturing a pet is an acceptable way for boys to “parent play”—to practice being caregivers.
- Feeding and caring for a pet encourages childhood responsibility.
- Children with pets display improved impulse control, social skills and self-esteem.
- Sharing the love and care of a family pet forges an additional common bond among siblings.
- Cuddling a pet reduces stress, loneliness and anxiety.
Still a little hesitant? Stop in to our Adoption Center to meet some of our pets. Take your time, visit often, and when the time is right, you’ll know.
Two Convenient Locations
1929 West Market Street
Akron, OH 44313
(behind Walgreen's and AutoZone)
Spay & Neuter Clinic
1700 West Exchange Street
Akron, OH 44313
Connect with Us
Meet Our Pets
Please make an appointment to meet the many "One of A Kind" cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies looking for their forever homes. Walk-ins are admitted as occupancy safely allows at the time of your visit.
Get Our Emails
Sign up for our One of A Kind bi-monthly email newsletter and receive pet care tips, check out our featured pets and get the latest news from One of A Kind Pet Rescue.
There's so much going on and we have the scoop on every kind of pet event. Find out what new pet-friendly events are coming up and join us for some fun and furry happenings.