Christmas Trees and Cats
Cats are notorious for their Christmas tree antics, and hearing about broken ornaments or fallen trees is not uncommon. Christmas trees can actually pose several dangers to cats such as:
- Fake snow, mistletoe, holly and poinsettias are all toxic to cats to a certain degree.
- Tree water additives can make cats sick.
- Eating tinsel or chewing cords can easily kill a cat.
So, how do you celebrate and still keep everyone safe from harm? Here are a few tips:
- Place aluminum foil, pine cones, or double stick tape under the tree to keep them from walking in that area.
- Cover the water with a tree skirt so that the cat does not have access.
- Just like with a toddler in the home, keep shiny and precious ornaments up high and make sure they are secured well.
- Keep cords covered with cardboard tubes or make sure to unplug them when not used.
- Spray a washable or disposable decoration (think pine cones or cotton balls) with bitter apple, citronella, or Vicks to keep your cat away. Remember the scents do fade, so make sure to refresh them as needed.
Make sure this is a holiday that the whole family, including your furry friends, can enjoy!
Two Convenient Locations
1929 West Market Street
Akron, OH 44313
(behind Walgreen's and AutoZone)
Spay & Neuter Clinic
1700 West Exchange Street
Akron, OH 44313
Connect with Us
Meet Our Pets
Please make an appointment to meet the many "One of A Kind" cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies looking for their forever homes. Walk-ins are admitted as occupancy safely allows at the time of your visit.
Get Our Emails
Sign up for our One of A Kind bi-monthly email newsletter and receive pet care tips, check out our featured pets and get the latest news from One of A Kind Pet Rescue.
There's so much going on and we have the scoop on every kind of pet event. Find out what new pet-friendly events are coming up and join us for some fun and furry happenings.