Keep Your Pets Safe During the Summer Heat
We long for hot sunny days, and spending time outdoors with our furry friends but there are precautions to keep in mind. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals offers some tips on keeping our pets safe.
- Be sure your pets are up-to-date on their vaccinations and get tested for heartworm if they are not on year-round preventative medicine.
- Give them plenty of fresh, clean water as they can become dehydrated quickly.
- Make sure they have a shady place to get out of the sun.
- We love our walks, but don’t over-exercise them on hot, humid days.
- When walking your pet, check the pavement as it can get very hot
- Keep them indoors when it is extremely hot.
- Animals with flat faces (like Pugs and Persian cats), are more susceptible to heat stroke as they cannot pant as effectively).
- Never leave a pet unsupervised around water. Not all dogs are good swimmers. If your dog swims in a pool, be sure to rinse it off afterwards to remove the chlorine from its fur.
- Never leave your pet in a car, even with a window cracked. The temperature in a car rises very quickly.
For more information about keeping your furry friends safe in the summer heat visit https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/hot-weather-safety-tips.
Two Convenient Locations
1929 West Market Street
Akron, OH 44313
(behind Walgreen's and AutoZone)
Spay & Neuter Clinic
1700 West Exchange Street
Akron, OH 44313
Connect with Us
Meet Our Pets
Please make an appointment to meet the many "One of A Kind" cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies looking for their forever homes. Walk-ins are admitted as occupancy safely allows at the time of your visit.
Get Our Emails
Sign up for our One of A Kind bi-monthly email newsletter and receive pet care tips, check out our featured pets and get the latest news from One of A Kind Pet Rescue.
There's so much going on and we have the scoop on every kind of pet event. Find out what new pet-friendly events are coming up and join us for some fun and furry happenings.