Christmas Trees and Cats
Cats are notorious for their Christmas tree antics, and hearing about broken ornaments or fallen trees is not uncommon. Christmas trees can actually pose several dangers to cats such as:
- Fake snow, mistletoe, holly and poinsettias are all toxic to cats to a certain degree.
- Tree water additives can make cats sick.
- Eating tinsel or chewing cords can easily kill a cat.
So, how do you celebrate and still keep everyone safe from harm? Here are a few tips:
- Place aluminum foil, pine cones, or double stick tape under the tree to keep them from walking in that area.
- Cover the water with a tree skirt so that the cat does not have access.
- Just like with a toddler in the home, keep shiny and precious ornaments up high and make sure they are secured well.
- Keep cords covered with cardboard tubes or make sure to unplug them when not used.
- Spray a washable or disposable decoration (think pine cones or cotton balls) with bitter apple, citronella, or Vicks to keep your cat away. Remember the scents do fade, so make sure to refresh them as needed.
Make sure this is a holiday that the whole family, including your furry friends, can enjoy!
Two Convenient Locations
Rescue & Adoption Center
1929 West Market Street
Akron, OH 44313
Spay & Neuter Clinic
1700 West Exchange Street
Akron, OH 44313
Connect with Us
Meet Our Pets
We feature “One of A Kind” kittens, cats, puppies and dogs. Review our adoptable pets online and then come into the adoption center and visit them to see which one is right for you.
Subscribe to Pets News
Sign up for our email newsletter and receive One of a Kind updates each week. You'll get everything from local pet events to exciting new products you can find in our retail store.
There's so much going on and we have the scoop on every kind of pet event. Find out what new pet-friendly events are coming up and join us for some fun and furry happenings.
Support our mission... make a donation today!